Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of the Last Year

It's finally here--Senior year. Most of you know that I have had Senioritis for almost a year now. I have been so frustrated with school, Junior year was hell. I know that I have a career path in place, and I'm so anxious to begin. Unlike most of my business college peers, I don't have to go through a grueling set of interviews, career fairs, and internships. I don't have to worry that I may be working at the same amusement park that I've worked with for the past nine summers, because I didn't get that big internship with an accounting firm last year. I have a great start at a rapidly expanding company, in an industry that is here to stay. It may not be the glamorous suit and tie corner office job in New York that so many of my peers are striving for, but it is perfect for me. It's difficult, it challenges me more than I've ever been challenged. I work with amazing people (with one or two exceptions), who work hard AND play hard (as evidenced Saturday night). We are a close-knit team and we've got each others back. It's a great environment to work in, and it is giving me a great amount of experience in many different areas. I know that even if I don't become a "Mr. Rooter Lifer"--as a tech called me the other day--I will be able to find a great position in a company in any area of the Midwest. Jordan would love to move back to Bluffton, and while I have my doubts about that, I'll be prepared to get a good job there.

All this knowledge has me so restless. I want it NOW. I don't want to struggle through another horrible year of juggling work and school and classes. In October, the wedding planning will finally cease, and this year, I don't have to continually worry about my deployed soldier. But different challenges face me this year. In 54 days I will be newly married. I'm learning to run my own household, which most of you know is not an easy task for me. Last year taught me to stand on my own two feet, and do things without help. But now, there is two of us. I have a husband to cook and clean and care for, one who is facing some serious challenges himself right now. Thank you, Lord, for finally giving David the peace he has been needing for 15 years. In 54 days I will officially be a "non-traditional" student, thought I've felt that way for awhile now. We've moved off campus, for a reason. We are going to be looking for another church, a Muncie church. While CCH holds a very dear place in my heart, Jordan and I need to find a home where we can build fellowship with other married, local couples. It's going to be a difficult transition for me, because I have so many close friends at CCH and I want to be able to be a part of all of those amazing activities. But I watched someone I loved dearly struggle with transition last year, and I am trying to learn from her pain.

So here we go. It's the last two semesters that I will be a student. The end is in sight. Finally.

No comments: