Sunday, April 26, 2009

Networks

My fellow business students can attest to this: Today's world is all about networking. Almost every professor I've had tells us to start expanding our networks, and every time I get online, there is yet another social networking site to join. And I do, because I'm an addict and I can't help it. From Facebook to Twitter, from LinkedIn to Last.fm, everyone is meeting new people online. How many times a day do I get on and change my Twitter status? Some say way too many, but by using sites like Twitter, I am able to converse with people outside my small town Indiana network about cooking, housekeeping, beekilling, etc. I get questions answered from people all over the world. I have friends in Florida who cook, in Arizona who plumb. I have a friend in Ireland who worries about my health, and my "Twitter Mom" in Bluffton who looks after me too. I've met people with different experiences than I have had (for some reason I really like to follow moms on Twitter, as well as their blogs). For the most part, it's all in fun, and most of the conversations aren't serious. But sometimes, somebody's real life is touched by their online life. Who starts a blog about their family expecting it to be a door to crucial funding to save babies' lives? Or who would imagine that a celebrity would notice a regular joe's status update and help them get the psychological help they need? Just a few examples.

So whether you like to post your recipes on Blogger, or just use facebook to post pictures of your latest drunken excursion, take a moment to notice the people around you in your social networks. You may be touching their lives more than you know.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

I was just thinking this evening about what my life would be like without my internet forums and social network sites since I've been pretty well cooped up for the last few months. I came to the conclusion I would have felt a lot like the pioneer housewife who didn't have a neighbor within a day's journey by horse! I've met so many neat people online that have really enriched my life, and you're one of them. I do really care about you and I hope now that you're graduating you'll be able to concentrate on getting your health back. I'm here for you any time you need a shoulder to cry on or a friend to share your joys with. I hope you're feeling better soon. Signed, Twitter Mom ;-)

hmills96 said...

Thanks for the encouragement :). J. laughs at me when I talk about all the awesome people I talk to online. "Who the heck is Marsha/Stellan/etc etc etc?" But I value all of your opinions, and I look forward to hearing from you guys! I'm going to try to keep this blog going more often, no promises because I tend to start strong and then slack off after awhile, but I'm hoping that once school is out it will allow me to do things I enjoy a little bit more often.